Home Forums Feedback Yin Yang Tai Shao Ming etc

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

John Messmer
    Participant

I am getting confused as these terms are used a lot and I made notes early on:
    Tai = greater
    Shao = lesser
    Ming = Bright

Front of body – yin
    Back – yang
    But Dr. Audette uses the terms in ways that confuse me. It would be nice to have a better understanding of what it means to say “Yang ming” “tai yang” etc. Is it possible to translate these terms?

Allison Bailey
    Keymaster

Here is Dr Audette’s response: The old system of naming the meridians was based on pairing a meridian of the upper extremity with the lower extremity based on their energetic properties. The energetic properties include the concept of whether the meridian is moving through a Yin or yang aspect of the body (so in the arm yin would be on ventral surface, yang would be dorsal) and then they were subdivided based on the degree of “yangness” or “yinness” . So Tai Yang is the most yang (Greater Yang). Shao Yang is still yang in nature, but not as strongly yang as the Tai Yang (Shao means lesser so Shao yang is “lesser yang”). The same applies to the yin meridians with a Tai Yin meridian of the Upper and Lower Extremity (Greater Yin). Similarly there is a Shao Yin meridian of the Upper Extremity and Lower Extremity (Lesser Yin). Then there is the Yang Ming meridians of the UE and LE (Bright Yang). The idea of “bright” is trying to bring out a concept that relates more to how external the yang energy is versus internal. The Yang Ming relates more to the interior aspect of the Yang energy of the body. The counterpart for Yin is the Jue Yin or “absolute” yin which is the most interior Yin energy of the body. So we can also look at these energies as going from the exterior (Tai Yang) to the hinge between the exterior and interior (Shao Yang) to the interior (Yang Ming). Similar for the yin, moving from the most exterior aspect of Yin (Tai Yin) to the hinge between exterior and interior (Shao Yin) to the most interior and most Yin aspect of our energy – Jue or Absolute Yin.

Here it is from me in more a table format:
    Yin: ventral, internal, earth, cold, dark, dense, hard, contracting
    Yang: dorsal, external, heaven, hot, light, porous, soft, expanding
    Tai Yang: Greater Yang (this is the MOST yang meridian of the hand/foot examples are small intestine/bladder)
    Tai Yin: Greater Yin (this is the MOST yin meridian of the hand/foot examples are lung/spleen )
    Shao Yang: Lesser Yang (still yang but less so examples are triple warmer/ gallbladder)
    Shao Yin: Lesser Yin (still yin but less so examples heart/kidney)
    Yang Ming: Bright Yang (this is the most interior of the Yang Meridians examples are Large Intestine/Stomach)
    Jue Yin: Absolute Yin (this is the most interior of the Yin Meridians pericardium/liver)

Hope this helps!

John Messmer
    Participant

That is helping as is the repetition and correlation. I am beginning to feel like I get it. The meridian energetics slide is a good reference. But it helps to know what is meant by “shao” and “jue” and “tai.” so thanks.

Emily Ackerman
    Participant

Hi John, I believe you are also a Family doc? Would like to ask you a few questions. If available please email me at eackmd@gmail.com. Thank you!! Emily Ackerman, who also has cats lol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hide picture